Sunday, January 2, 2011

Dinner - Chicken Chow Mein

You know those dinners that just bring you back to your childhood? Well, tonight I had one of those moments! We've recently acquired a recipe from my Mom that she used to make often. My Mom, and Dad for that matter, are very good cooks. They happened to have had 2 very picky children. And not only that, the children (my brother and myself) didn't like the same picky things. I was vanilla, he was chocolate. I was pancakes, he was waffles. We had few things we liked and mostly all of them consisted of rice and chicken. The three main meals we ate as children were: Chicken Rice-A-Roni with chicken breasts, Chicken & Rice (recipe to come), and Chicken Chow Mein.

My husband decided it was about time to try this recipe he's heard so much about over the years and let me tell you, it brought me back. I could picture the pan my Mom makes this in and the kitchen I ate it in all those years growing up. But it was even more special tonight because now I have a new memory with my husband but can still relive those old ones to. That's what I want this year, 2011, to be for me. Making memories, saying thanks, being a good friend/wife/family member, and being in the moment while reflecting on the past and hoping for the future. I don't know where or why this rant started - maybe its because of this meal that reminded me where I've come from and where I want to go!




Chicken Chow Mein
Send to your printer!

3 TBSP Butter
4 TBSP Chopped Onion
3 C. Chopped Celery
2 C. Diced Chicken
1 tsp salt
3 C. Chicken Broth
1 TBSP Sugar or Honey
¼ C. Soy Sauce

Melt butter in large frying pan. Saute the onions until tender.
Add celery, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients. Cooke about 15 minutes.

Blend 4 TBSP corn starch with 6 TBSP water. Blend into above mixture and cook until thickened - stirring constantly.

Serve over the top of rice. Garnish with Chow Mein noodles.

*Modification. You can add 3 C. Chopped carrots in when you add the celery  and chicken.
PS. Please be kind...this is my first time EVER using Google Docs so I hope it goes okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment